These simple crock pot black-eyed peas are slow cooked to perfection with water and onions, and there's no need to pre-soak the peas. I did not add meat to the peas but diced cooked bacon or ham may be added after the peas have softened.
Season the peas with salt or a seasoned salt blend when they're tender and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes. They are delicious served with hot boiled rice or add them to soups or greens. They make a fabulous meal with freshly baked cornbread and rice or greens.
These peas are an excellent alternative to canned peas, and the preparation couldn't be easier!
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
Rinse the black-eyed peas in a colander under cold running water. Pick them over and remove any damaged or malformed peas. Put the peas in the slow cooker along with the sliced onion and minced garlic. Add the freshly ground black pepper and the water.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for about 5 to 6 hours (about 3 hours on high). Taste and add salt or a seasoned salt blend, as desired.
Continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with hot baked cornbread, rice, and cooked greens.
Tips and Variations
- Black-Eyed Peas With Vegetables - Add about 1 cup of chopped carrots and celery to the peas along with the sliced onions.
- If desired, add diced cooked bacon, ham, or sausage to the peas when you add the salt.
You Might Also Like