This is one basic recipe that you'll come back to again and again. Easily elegant, this recipe can be dressed up with any vegetables or herbs that you like, or with bacon or a vegetarian meat substitute for a little extra savory component.
I like to use this dairy-free pie dough recipe for my quiche, but if you prefer are tart-style quiche, this almond tart dough recipe works well also.
Makes one 10" quiche
- 1 Basic Pie Dough Recipe (see head note)
- 9 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- ¼ c. nutritional yeast
- 2 t. salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a 10” pie plate well with dairy-free soy margarine. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough to about 1/8” thick and fit the dough into the pie plate. Trim the excess dough, leaving just enough to form the crust with your fingers. Make the crust and place the pie plate in the refrigerator, uncovered, for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. In a medium-sized mixing bowl using and electric hand mixer, beat 1 egg until pale yellow and frothy. Add the flour and beat until well combined. Add the remaining eggs and beat for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture has increased in volume by a third and is very light and frothy. Gradually add the almond milk, nutritional, yeast and salt, beating for 2 minutes more after all has been added.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pie plate and bake for 10 minutes. Turn down the oven temperature to 325 and bake for 35-40 minutes more, or until the quiche is firm but slightly jiggly. Allow the quiche to cool on a wire cooling rack for 15-20 minutes or until set before serving.