This easy eggplant casserole is made with the addition of eggs. Grated onion adds flavor, and cracker crumbs give it texture. The casserole is similar to a corn scallop but it's made with cooked eggplant.
Use cheddar cheese or a cheddar jack combination, or make it with shredded smoked cheese or gruyere.
Finely chopped fresh parsley and a dash of garlic powder can be added to the mixture along with the grated onion.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut up
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup half-and-half or milk
- 1/2 cup coarse cracker crumbs, saltines
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack mixture
1. Heat the oven to 325° F (165° C/Gas 3). Butter a 1-quart casserole dish.
2. Cook the eggplant in boiling water with the 1 teaspoon salt until tender. Drain and lightly mash. Add butter, grated onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; blend well.
3. In a bowl, whisk the egg with the milk or half-and-half until blended; stir it into the eggplant mixture. Stir in cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until set in center. Or, bake in 4 lightly buttered 6-ounce ramekins for individual servings.
5. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and continue to bake just until the cheese is melted and the casserole is lightly browned around the edges.
More Eggplant Recipes
Scalloped Eggplant With Cheese