01 of 04
Materials to create a fabric yo-yo are usually found around the house.
- Fabric - Old clothing can even be your fabric supply. Light-weight to medium-weight fabric is best because of the gathering involved in making a yo-yo. If the fabric is too heavy the gathering can stop the yo-yo from laying out smoothly.
- A Circle Template - You want a circle that is approximately double the size of the the desired finished yo-yo. Many round circles are around the house. Glasses, dishes, embroidery hoops are... just a few. Many templates can be purchased in the notions sections of a fabric or quilting store.
- Marking tools - Tailors chalk or quilting pencils work very well.
- Sharp Scissors
- Hand sewing needles
- Strong, quality thread.
Continue to 2 of 4 below.
02 of 04
Cutting out Yo-Yos
- With your fabric laid out smooth and wrinkle free, trace around the edge of your template.
- To cut multiple circles at a time, pin the center of the circle, keeping the fabric flat and smooth.
- Cut the circles out following the circle that is marked on the fabric. Be sure to keep the fabric aligned if you are cutting more than one at a time.
Continue to 3 of 4 below.
03 of 04
Sewing a Yo-Yo
- Thread a hand sewing needle and knot one thread, leaving a tail after the knot.
- Working with the wrong side of the fabric toward you, gently turn under approximately 1/8" to 1/4" of the edge of the circle.
- Insert the needle in the edge of the fabric on the wrong side so the knot will be inside the yo-yo.
- Sew a running stitch around the edge of the circle, turning the edge as you sew, stopping when you reach where you started.
Continue to 4 of 4 below.
04 of 04
Gather the Circle
- Holding the needle thread, pull the thread to gather the circle.
- Tuck the turned edge into the center, keeping the right side of the fabric out as you gather the circle.
- Gather until you have an almost closed circle.
- Use the gathering thread and the knot-tail to knot the thread multiple times.
- Trim the threads close to the knots.
- Finger press the yo-yo flat with the "hole" in the center.
- Join yo-yos together in any desired pattern.