This easy pie is an excellent way to use leftover roast beef or pork. For the biscuits, use refrigerated biscuits, frozen, or homemade.
The dish is made with a homemade gravy, but in a pinch, you could use a jar of gravy or 2 cups of gravy made from a dry mix.
Cooked green beans, mixed vegetables, or diced cooked corn or carrots are all excellent choices for vegetables in the filling.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cups diced, cooked beef or pork
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups meat stock or part milk for creamy filling
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups frozen cooked mixed vegetables or diced cooked carrots
- refrigerator biscuits, frozen, or homemade
- Heat the oven to 450 F (230 C/Gas 8). Butter a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate or 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and diced meat. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the flour slowly and cook stirring constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes. The roux should be lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients and stir to blend. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, if making homemade biscuits, prepare the dough and cut them out.
- Pour the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish. Cover with the ready-made or homemade biscuits.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until biscuits are browned.until biscuits are browned.
Tips and Variations
- Top the hot baked casserole with shredded cheese and bake for a few more minutes, or just until the cheese melts.
- Use a gravy mix or gravy from a can or jar to replace the homemade gravy.
You Might Also Like