It's very easy to make your own homemade baby food. You may use beef, pork, lamb, chicken, or turkey. If you use poultry, you can reduce the meat cooking time by half. The beef stew is pureed in a food processor. May be frozen if desired. This recipe is designed for babies 6-12 months of age.
- 2 tablespoons fat or oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups liquid (water, vegetable or fruit juice)
- 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut up
- 5 medium carrots, scrubbed and cut up
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas (or any other green vegetable)
- Heat fat in a large-size heavy saucepan over medium-high.
- Coat the in the flour and brown in the fat. Add the liquid and cover tightly.
- Simmer over medium heat for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add frozen peas, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Purée stew into a smooth consistency.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 days; freeze 2-3 months.
- Variation: Any can be substituted and 1/2 cup of uncooked rice may be substituted for the potatoes.
Source: The Complete New Guide to Preparing Baby Foods by Sue Castle (Bantam Books)
Reprinted with permission.