Here's a basic and quick recipe for a vegetarian oven-baked pasta casserole with just four ingredients that are easy to keep on hand (plus salt and pepper!). This pasta casserole recipe is just the basics, so you can get it into the oven quick, or, personalize it with whatever you have on hand. The variations are endless.
A few suggestions: use a homemade marinara sauce and fresh basil, try a blend of Mozzarella and Parmesan, add bread crumbs, or, for a more moist baked pasta, add in one well-beaten egg. A package of mixed frozen veggies could also be added to make this quick and easy oven-baked pasta more nutritious. Enjoy - it's foolproof!
What to do with all the extra time you'll have on hand by preparing such a simple and easy dinner as this oven baked pasta casserole? Make a fresh green salad while your pasta bake is cooking, or try baking a simple whole wheat dinner roll. Why not?
Scroll down for more meatless baked pasta recipes to try.
- 1 16-ounce package pasta (use penne, rigatoni, ziti or medium shells)
- 1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasonings
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 26-ounce jar vegetarian marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Cook ziti or penne pasta according to package instructions, then drain well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, Italian seasonings, a bit of salt and pepper, and half of the marinara pasta sauce. Add cooked pasta, tossing gently to combine well.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Use half of the remaining marinara sauce to cover the bottom of a casserole dish, then spoon pasta and cheese mixture on top in an even layer. Cover with remaining marinara sauce, then sprinkle the top with mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer pasta to bowl with cheese mixture and toss gently to coat. Spread 1/2 cup of the remaining pasta sauce over the bottom of a 7-x11-inch baking dish. Spoon pasta mixture into dish and spread out evenly. Drizzle remaining sauce over the top, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional ten minutes, until golden brown and hot throughout.