These basic pralines are a New Orleans specialty. The creamy and buttery brown sugar fudge is filled with pecans.
This version includes brown sugar and evaporated milk. Butter is added to the fudge mixture and then they're dropped onto wax paper to set. For the very best results, use a candy thermometer.
- 2 cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups pecans (pieces and halves)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter (chilled and cut in pieces)
- Combine sugar, milk, and water in a 2-quart saucepan; heat to boiling stirring constantly. Cook until mixture reaches soft ball consistency (235 F).
- Remove from heat; stir in pecans, vanilla, and butter.
- Immediately drop by tablespoons onto wax paper.