These roasted potatoes are a snap to prepare, and they taste amazing. Make them with or without the garlic, and serve along with a steak, chicken, or fish. We like to use red-skinned potatoes for this dish, but round white or small new potatoes would also be good choices.
The roasted potatoes make an excellent breakfast or brunch side dish as well.
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed and cut in 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced, optional
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, toss the potato chunks with the olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic, and parsley.
- Spread the potatoes out in a single layer in a large, shallow rimmed baking pan, such as a large jelly roll pan or half sheet pan.
- Roast the potatoes for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until nicely browned, turning every 15 to 20 minutes to brown evenly.
Tips and Variations
- Add a teaspoon or two of paprika and toss with the potatoes along with the garlic and parsley.
- Instead of olive oil, use vegetable oil, melted duck fat, or another neutral flavor oil.
- Add a small sliced or coarsely chopped onion to the potatoes.
- Add red or green bell pepper strips along with chopped onions.
- Add some diced leftover ham or cooked diced bacon to make a hearty one-dish meal.