This traditional shepherd's pie is made with lamb. Shepherd's pie, also known as Cottage pie when it's made with beef, is an old English favorite. It is a family favorite on either side of the Atlantic.
To make a cottage style pie, use leftover minced roast beef and beef gravy.
Classic Shepherd's Pie with Lamb
- 2 cups cooked chopped leftover roast lamb
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 cups lamb gravy
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups mashed potato, prepared with milk and seasonings as desired
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine meat, gravy, and chopped onion; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Line the bottom of a buttered baking dish with a layer of half of the seasoned mashed potatoes.
- Add meat mixture then cover with remaining mashed potatoes. Or, meat and gravy can be put in the baking dish first then topped with all of the mashed potatoes.
- Dot mashed potato topping with butter, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika, then bake for about 30 minutes at 400° F, or until potato topping is browned and the pie is thoroughly heated.
You Might Also Like