Like homemade cole slaw? Looking for a way to make it vegan? Here's how to make a traditional American-style cole slaw suitable for anyone on an egg-free or vegan diet.
You can easily make this simple homemade vegan coleslaw recipe - it's egg-free and dairy-free - for a picnic, potluck or a vegetarian or vegan barbecue by using vegan mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise or store-bought dressing. Like many traditional dishes, there's really no wrong or right way to make coleslaw, so if you're used to doing it somewhat differently, feel free to experiment and change up this recipe a bit, or, scroll down for more even more creative vegan cole slaw recipes to try out. This simple vegan cole slaw recipe is also completely gluten-free.
New to vegan cooking and the vegan lifestyle? If you're not sure what a vegan is, you'll want to check out this simple vegan definition here, and if you're looking for more vegan recipes, you'll find plenty of vegan recipes here.
See also: More vegetarian recipes to try
- 1/3 cup vegan egg-free mayonnaise (I like Vegenaise)
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- dash salt and pepper
- 1 head green cabbage, sliced thin (or, use a combination of green and purple cabbage if you prefer)
- 3 carrots, grated
- Whisk together the vegan mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar soy milk and salt and pepper until smooth and creamy to form a dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine the thinly sliced cabbage and the grated carrots, and add the mayonnaise and vinegar dressing, tossing it all together to combine well and to make sure that the all of the cabbage and carrots are evenly coated with the dressing.
- Allow your vegan cole slaw to chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours before serving, if you have the time, and longer is just fine. To serve, remove from the refrigerator and give it a quick and gentle toss to mix up all the ingredients and the dressing a bit. Enjoy!
- To store any leftover cole slaw salad you have, transfer to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator immediately. Leftover coleslaw can keep up to 1-2 weeks if stored properly.
More vegan cole slaw recipes to try:
- Raw vegan cole slaw recipe with mustard and agave nectar
- Purple cabbage cole slaw recipe
- Green cabbage and pumpkin seed cole slaw with Thai peanut dressing