Basic Vegetarian and Vegan Gravy Recipe. What exactly is gravy, and why isn't it vegetarian? Gravy is traditionally made from the fat which drips off of meat when cooking with little more than a thickener added. Vegetarian gravy, however, adds flavor with a few seasonings and uses vegan margarine or a non-dairy vegan butter substitute as a fat. Along with margarine (or, use butter if you prefer and you aren't cooking for vegans), this vegetarian gravy recipe calls for onion, flour, garlic, and soy sauce.
Many vegetarian gravy recipes call for mushrooms, which add a great "meaty" flavor, but this one does not, so it's perfect for people who hate mushrooms, Want to add a little more flavor? Add a touch of liquid smoke while you stir it all up.
Making a vegetarian gravy can be a bit more of an art than an exact science, as timing, stirring and heat are everything, just like when making a meat-based gravy. So add more or less liquid as needed, but remember, your vegetarian gravy will thicken slightly as it cools just like a non-vegetarian gravy.
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine or butter substitute (make sure it's vegan margarine if you need this recipe to be vegan)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- First, heat the vegan margarine or butter substitute over medium heat in a large skillet and sautée the onion for 2 minutes. Next, add in the flour and the garlic salt and sautée together for about 5 more minutes, stirring to prevent the flour from burning.
- Add in the vegetable broth and the cornstarch, stirring to mix the cornstarch well. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently to make sure no clumps are formed.
- Add the nutritional yeast and the soy sauce or tamari and reduce the heat to low. Cook for one more minute, stirring.
Enjoy your vegetarian gravy!
Looking for more vegetarian gravy recipes to try? You might want to try this basic vegetarian gravy with mushrooms for something with a bit more texture, or, try this super creamy homemade vegetarian gravy recipe with miso.