Almost any celebration is the perfect opportunity to make this basic white cake recipe.
Dress this cake up in whatever frosting and decorations you like. Bake it for a kid's birthday or even a wedding! This cake is a blank canvas that is ready for your baking inspiration.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (clear)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 egg egg whites
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 2-9 inch cake pans.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar. Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder, and salt with a wire whisk.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk until all combined.
- In a clean, dry bowl beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. With a rubber spatula, add a scoop of egg whites to cake batter. Then fold in the rest.
- Carefully, divide batter between pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Test with toothpick for doneness.
- Cool cakes in pans on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove to racks to cool completely.
- Don't want to sift the cake flour? Read this quick tip about Sifting Ingredients.
- Clear vanilla is used here so that your cake will be whiter. If cake color isn't a concern, then you might want to use a pure vanilla instead.