- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup hulled raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 Tablespoons sweet butter, at room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
Place basil, sunflower seeds, olive oil, Parmesan, butter, and garlic in the bowl of a fitted with the metal blade. Process to a puree, scraping down sides often.
Transfer pesto to a small bowl with a lid. Press a sheet of plastic wrap to the surface of the pesto , then seal with the lid. May be refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
Yield: about 1-1/2 cups
To use pesto: Cook 1 pound of in salted water. When pasta is cooked al dente, combine 3/4 cup pesto with 2/3 cup hot pasta water in a large bowl.
Drain pasta and add to the bowl. Toss to combine. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Toss again and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
More Sunflower Seed Recipes!
• Artichoke-Cream Cheese Spread
• Baked Stuffed Peppers
• Basil Sunflower Seed Pesto
• Broccoli Sunflower Seed Salad
• Crispy Crunchy Granola Munchies
• Easy Sunflower Pate
• Homemade Protein Bars
• Maraschino Pecan Bread (ABM)
• Okara Oatmeal Cookies
• Rose Hip Nut Bread
• Squash Risotto
• Sunflower Chicken Stir Fry
• Sunflower Seed-Crusted Lamb Loin
• Sunflower Seed Whole Wheat Bread (ABM)
• Trash Snack Mix