These smoked potatoes coated in a herb-spice rub are perfect for a summer barbeque. Serve with any grilled or smoked meat for a fantastic meal.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Rub warm, soft bacon grease into the skin of each potato, covering completely. Mix the herbs together; roll each potato in herb mixture, making sure to cover completely. Puncture each potato several times.
- Place on the hot grill in a smoker, and smoke for 1 hour at 250 deg, turning once. Remove potato and wrap each in a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Seal the foil and place back in smoker for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until tender in the center when poked with a knife or skewer.
- You can omit the 'foil step' and the outsides of the potatoes will have a crunchier consistency. These are always the hit of the party.
- If you are uncomfortable using bacon grease, you can use vegetable shortening instead. I do suggest a good amount of lard on these, so olive oil or vegetable might not cut it for this recipe.
- If you do not have access to a smoker, a charcoal grill will work just fine. This side dish is also perfect from camping.