Garlic bread rises to an entirely new plane with this beach bread recipe, a popular restaurant appetizer in South Florida.
People have been known to make a meal out of beach bread. It is much like a sauceless French bread pizza and is quite addictive.
- 1 long loaf (about 3 feet) French bread, cut into 3 pieces, then sliced in half
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Onion powder to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 cup seeded, diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (may substitute thin-sliced green onions with tops)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Brush cut sides of French bread with melted butter. Sprinkle lightly with onion powder and garlic powder. Top with blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese, tomatoes, chives or green onions, mozzarella, and parsley.
- Bake about 10 to 15 minutes, until bread is crusty on the outside and the top is melted and just beginning to turn golden.
- Serve as is for an appetizer or serve it as an accompaniment for a classic spaghetti dinner or any other pasta dish like linguine with clam sauce.
Note: Italian bread or any other crusty white bread may be substituted for the French bread. The amounts are approximate, so feel free to simply follow the method you use with your favorite bread when making garlic bread.
More Recipes with Florida Flair
- Florida Citrus Meringue Pie Recipe: This taste of Florida combines lemon juice and orange juice in a curd that both sweet and tart.
- Florida Citrus Fish Recipe: Grapefruit juice and orange juice are the acids needed for this marinade which includes malt vinegar. The fish marinates for 4 to 10 hours and then is broiled or grilled.
- Florida-Style Arroz con Pollo Recipe: Chicken and rice is a popular Spanish dish that combines chicken, tomatoes, rice, peas, and saffron in a one-pot meal.
- Florida Sunshine Orange-Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe: Good morning, sunshine! Orange zest and juice go into these sour cream-enriched morning pastries.
- Classic Florida Conch Chowder Recipe: Conch can be very tough unless it's pounded or ground as in this recipe and then simmered in tomato and clam juice with vegetables and a little wine. The potatoes in the recipe serve as a thickener for the chowder.