This is a classic sauce that goes well over most grilled and roasted meats. This is one of the most versatile sauces in the world.
- 1 cup/240 mL butter (melted and hot)
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons/30 mL white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL dry tarragon
1. Place onions, vinegar, tarragon and pepper in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Reduce to about 1-2 teaspoons of liquid. Stir constantly. Remove from stove and let cool.
2. Put egg yolks and cooled mixture in a blender. Process for about 1 minute or until completely blended. Melt butter. Turn blender to high and slowly add the butter. Start out very slowly.
3. Serve immediately. This can be a tricky sauce so go slow and watch it very carefully.
The sauce will get thick as you add the butter. Do not let the sauce cool after it is mixed because it will separate.