These easy short ribs are simmered to perfection. The liquids are used to make a delicious onion gravy.
A tangy sweet and sour onion gravy adds flavor to these melt-in-your-mouth beef short ribs. The short ribs are braised to perfection on the stove top.
- 3 to 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 1/2 cup water or beef stock
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim ribs of excess visible fat.
- In a Dutch oven brown ribs on all sides. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add 1 cup sliced onions and 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 to 3 hours. Check occasionally and add a little more water if needed.
- Transfer ribs to heated platter; keep hot.
- Pour the pan juices into a 2-cup measure. Skim off fat and return 2 tablespoons of the fat to the pan. Add water or broth to juices to measure 2 cups. Set aside.
- Cook and stir sugar into reserved fat until browned. Add remaining 2 cups of onions; cook, stirring constantly until the onions are tender. Blend in flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in reserved 2 cups of pan juices and the vinegar. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbling. Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve with the hot ribs.