Stir fries are one of the most common and popular types of dishes in Chinese cuisine and beef with broccoli (牛肉炒花椰菜) is one of the most popular stir-fry recipes.
Not only can you find this in Chinese restaurants in the West but Chinese people also love this dish in China. Beef and broccoli are both very healthy ingredients and high in nutrition (see below).
There are many different ways to cook this delicious and healthy beef and broccoli stir-fry. Here is one tasty version.
- 10.5 ounces/300 g lean beef (sliced or julienned)
- 12 ounces/350 g broccoli
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt (for the boiling water)
- 2 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon potato starch (or cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water)
- For the Marinade:
- 1/2 large egg white
- 1/2 tablespoon potato starch (or cornstarch)
- 1/2 tablespoon rice wine (or Shaoxing wine)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar (demerara)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Make the Marinade
- In a large bowl, mix together egg white 1/2 tablespoon potato starch, rice wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and black pepper.
- Add the beef, completely covering it, and marinate for at least 30 minutes. If you want the beef to have more texture and be a bit softer then you can add the optional baking soda.
Prepare the Broccoli
- Cut the broccoli into small individual florets. Boil a pot of water with 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt then blanch the broccoli in the water for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Drain the water and soak the broccoli in iced/cold water immediately to cool it down.
Stir Fry the Dish
- Heat up a wok with oil, stir fry the garlic and ginger first then add beef and stir fry for 1 minute. Remove it from the wok and set aside.
- Wash the wok and dry it. Heat up a little bit of oil and stir fry the broccoli for 20 seconds then add the beef back in the wok and keep stir frying for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in potato starch-water mixture and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add salt to taste and it’s ready to serve with hot white rice.
- You can add sliced carrot and onion if desired. It can be boiled in the water with broccoli but you might need to add more water.
- If you find this dish is a little bit too dry during stir frying, you can add water to adjust it.
- You also can adjust the seasonings for this recipe to suit your personal taste.
Health Benefits of Beef
- Beef is well known for its high vitamin B12 content, an essential nutrient for blood formation and improving the function of the brain and nervous system.
- Beef is a great resource for zinc, a mineral important for body growth and maintenance.
- Generally, meat is a great resource for selenium. Selenium can help regulate and maintain essential bodily functions.
- Beef is well known for its high iron content. Iron can help to make red blood cells that carry oxygen around the body to help maintain healthy cells, skin, hair, and nails.
- Beef contains niacin known to lower the risk of heart disease.
- Beef is also high in vitamin B6 which is important for blood formation.
- Beef contains high levels of protein, essential for growth.
Health Benefits of Broccoli
- It can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- It’s good for your body’s detoxification system.
- Broccoli has anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Consuming broccoli can help your body to reduce the risk of some cancers, such as mouth, throat and stomach cancers.
Edited by Liv Wan