Beginner Friendly Quilt Patterns
Try one of these easy quilt patterns the next time you're looking for a new project. All of the quilt patterns in this list are suitable for beginners and are quilts you can complete without feeling overwhelmed by lots of intricate steps.
If you prefer a visual guide to patterns be sure to browse the quilt patterns gallery and quilt block patterns gallery, where you'll find hundreds of patterns, including additional easy quilting projects.
All of the quilt patterns and tutorials on this page include detailed instructions and illustrations to show you how to make a quilt. And even though these are labeled 'easy' don't hesitate to try any quilt patterns
Easy Star Quilt Patterns
Star quilt patterns are always popular. Stars are perfect for holiday and patriotic quilts, or any other theme you choose. They all have some sort of triangular shape, but nearly all can be quick pieced to help you avoid working with stretchy bias edges.
- Joyous Celebration
- Stretched Stars Wallhanging
- Can't Stop Spinnin'
- Evening Stars with Nine Patch Centers
- Pinwheel Blocks
- Scrappy Floating Stars
Easy Quilt Patterns
- Around the Twist
- Carolina Byways
- Catching the View
- Grandma's Choice Wallhanging
- Kate's Oriental Lanterns Quilt
Easy Quilt Block Patterns
Make multiples of these quilt blocks for yourself, or use them for your guild and online block swaps.
- Bright Hopes Block (easy partial seams)
- Buckeye Beauty
- Comforts of Home
- Double Four Patch
- Friendship Block
- Foundation Pieced Log Cabin
- I Spy a Snowball Block
- Jacob's Ladder
- Maple Leaf Block
- Mock Log Cabin
- Not Quite Bow Ties
- Not So Much of a Trick
- Pieced Tulips
- Scrappy Baskets Quilt Block
- Turning Nines into a Seven
Sew and Slice Quilt Patterns
Make large 'parent' quilt blocks and then slice them into quarters to create four 'daughter' quilt blocks. This simple technique can be used for many designs.
- Make a Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt
- Disappearing Bento Box Quilt Pattern
- Disappearing Bonnie Scotsman Quilt Pattern
- Disappearing Scots on Point Quilt Pattern
Easy Miniature Quilt Patterns
The patterns aren't for tiny miniature quilts, so they're easy to assemble.
Quick Quilting Projects
- Easy Throw Pillow Pattern - make this pillow cover in just a few hours.
- Easy Pillowcase Pattern - make pillowcases with simple French seams that cover raw edges of seam allowances.
- How to Make an Easy Fabric Postcard, includes ideas and techniques for fabric postcards.
- Festive Christmas Table Runner - change the fabrics to suit any theme
Anniversary Sampler Quilt
- Anniversary Sampler Quilt
- More Sampler Quilt Patterns
Learn Quilting Techniques
- How to Make a Denim Quilt, - tips and techniques to help you make a blue jean quilt from recycled fabric or quilt from new denim.
- Foundation Piecing, sometimes called paper piecing.
- Learn How to String Piece
- Two Ways to Make Prairie Points to finish the edges of your quilt.
- How to Make Yo Yos to use as applique flowers or for an entire quilt.