01 of 06
Easy Ways to Impress Your Guests
It's coming ya'll! The best time of the year, football season, is almost here. And with every game comes a tailgate. Be prepared for a big crowd with these amazingly easy dips. They are packed with flavor and can be made ahead of time. There are some warm options, cold options and one option for those with a sweet tooth.Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Creamy Corn Dip
Sweet corn is one of the South’s most celebrated summer treats. Instead of enjoying it on the cob, try having it in a creamy dip. The first time I had corn dip, it had a mayo base. I was in search of the same flavor but with a lighter ingredient list. Use lite sour cream and cream cheese to get the same flavor but with less calories. Add some garlic, and the flavor is out of this world.
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can 10 oz. Rotel, drained
- 2 cups lite sour cream
- 1/2 c. cream cheese
- 1 cup... shredded Colby jack cheese
- 1 1oz. pkg. Ranch dressing mix
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro, to chop
Combine all ingredient. Stir well and chill until ready to serve.Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Vanilla Fruit Dip
Fruits need love too! An easy vanilla dip makes the perfect companion for strawberries, melon and apples. Make sure to keep this one chilled as long as possible before serving. You can also experiment with flavors (try strawberry yogurt next time) to keep the crowds coming back.
- 32 ounces low fat vanilla yogurt
- 8 oz whipping cream
- 1 package of vanilla pudding mix
- 2 Tbsp honey (optional)
- Sprinkle of ground cinnamon
- Fruit for dipping, washed
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
- Whip cream in a large mixing bowl until stiff peaks... form. Set aside
- Combine cream, yogurt, and pudding mix in a serving dish. Stir well, cover, and allow to sit for two hours in fridge.
- Remove from refrigerator. Stir again Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and honey before serving.
04 of 06
Fresh and tangy, Texas Caviar is like salsa but better. Some recipes call for black eyed peas, but try adding black beans and corn to the pico de gallo mix. You can also add avocado to give it a creamy texture. If you make this a couple days ahead, it just gets better and better in the fridge. Serve it up with chips or with celery sticks to keep it fresh.
- 2 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 5 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1... small white onion, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 6 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Chop fresh ingredients and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add canned ingredients
- In a separate bowl, combing oil, vinegar, cumin and creole seasoning. Whisk.
- Pour over vegetables.
- Allow mix to marinade for up to 2 days (5 hours is best). Serve.
05 of 06
Hot Pimento Cheese Dip
This dip is a touchdown with everyone. Pimento cheese is so quintessentially Southern and so amazingly easy. It is creamy, tangy and has a bite. Try making it a day ahead and stick under the broiler before bringing it to the game so it has that golden crust. Serve this with toast points or chips for maximum effect.
- 1 cup grated Cheddar
- 1 cup grated Colby Jack
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 4 tablespoons pimentos, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Continue to 6 of 6 below.
- Preheat oven to... 450F.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Stir well.
- Spread into an oven. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
06 of 06
Warm Chorizo Dip
This dip is a touchdown with everyone. It doesn’t have many ingredients but with a few minor adjustments, a plain sausage dip becomes an elegant chorizo appetizer that you can take to the game or serve at a dinner party.
- 2 packages lite cream cheese
- 1 lb ground chorizo (or ground Italain sausage)
- 2 small cans of rotel, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brown chorizo in a pan over high heat. Add minced garlic and stir until browned.
- Combined the... sausage, cream cheese and rotel in a mixing bowl
- Add salt and pepper.
- Spread into an oven safe casserole dish.
- Bake until bubbling.