Ultrasonic jewelry cleaners use inaudible sound waves to create tiny vacuum bubbles in liquid. The bubbles collapse, creating a great deal of heat and pressure, and 'blast' nearby objects. Millions of the little bubbles reach into intricate spaces, making the process an effective cleansing tool for some jewelry and its components.
These cleaners are designed in somewhat different ways but each comes with a basket to hold jewelry. The jewelry and the machine would be damaged if items were... allowed to bounce around against the cleaner's working parts. Worried the machine seems to complex to operate? An ultrasonic cleaner should always come with complete instructions for its use. Many manufacturers recommend you use a cleaning solution in the tank, but others work with plain tap water.
Disclaimer: Not all jewelry is suitable for ultrasonic cleaning. Pearls, opals, turquoise, emeralds and other similar, more delicate, gems should not be placed in an ultrasonic cleaner. Fashion jewelry would possibly be damaged by these cleaners, and it's best to find another method to clean your delicate vintage and antique jewelry.
Despite the limitations, these devices work well on new diamond jewelry. If you have your heart set on getting a professional diamond jewelry cleaning while at home, consider one of our tried and true ultrasonic jewelry cleaners listed below.
Edited by: Lauren Thomann
01 of 06
Like most other ultrasonic cleaners in this collection, some Branson units are large enough to clean eyeglasses and other small items. This model is compact and highly rated. It is a bit more pricey than some other cleaners on this list, but it is powerful enough to clean even the dirtiest piece of jewelry.
- Operates on 110-120V AC, 50-60 Hz
- Includes 5-minute timer
- Wide variety of other applications include: instrument and clock parts, small geological samples, metal and plastic... machine parts, small electrical and electronic components
02 of 06
This cleaner uses tap water and combines ultrasonic capabilities with steam cleaning. The ultrasonic tank holds about a pint of liquid (the tank isn't quite as large as some of the other models, but would be perfect for most jewelry). The great thing about this device is its dual purpose. It is both an ultrasonic and steam cleaner. Use the ultrasonic to loosen grime then use the steamer to blow the grime and excess cleanser away.
- The World's Only Ultrasonic/Steamer... Combination
- 50 PSI Steam Pressure/1 Pint Tank Capacity
- 1 Pint Tank Ultrasonic with 42000 Waves Per Second
- 1 Year Limited Replacement Warranty
- Timed 6 Minute Cleaning Cycle
03 of 06
The Optima jewelry cleaners in this collection vary in price, starting at about $35 and extending to $135. Tub size and cleaning cycles vary. Be sure to read the feedback -- the lowest priced cleaning unit has not accumulated good reviews. This particular unit is on the upper end of the price range but has better reviews.
- Large tank ultrasonic machine
- 5 cycle digital timer
- Built-in heater up to 65 degrees
- Strengthened transducer makes the ultrasonic more powerful (42 KHz and 160... Watts cleaning power) and provides remarkable cleaning results.
- Cleaning Concentrate Powder included
04 of 06
You'll find a wide variation in Sharpertek cleaners, in both price and capabilities. Some of the units are heated, although many of those styles are larger cleaners that can also be used to clean auto parts and other items way beyond your needs for jewelry. You'll even find the larger versions in fine jewelry stores.
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Large Digital Timer Display for Precise Control of Cleaning Time
- Wide dipping tub with spill-proof cover that can safely store tarnish-removing solution... between uses.
- Wide-Diameter Transducer for More Powerful Cleaning Cycles
- Industrial Grade IC. Multiple Circuit Protections. Moister Proofed PCB. Cooling Fan.
05 of 06
This professional grade ultrasonic cleaner is an affordable way to get a large cleaner you may otherwise find in jewelry stores. The powerful ultrasonic frequency is paired with a built in heater.
- Digitial timer: 180, 280, 380, 480 and 90 seconds.
- Large tank size: 9.6"x5.9"x3". Tank capacity 2.6 Qt / 2.5 L.
- Power: 110V 160W including the heater. (220V available with extra charge)
- Come with a full size plastic basket.
- Ultrasonic frequency: 42,000 Hz.
06 of 06
If you're buying your first ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, this device is a great option. It is small and has great reviews. It is also the least expensive option on this list. The product promises to clean your precious jewelry without the need for harsh chemicals or abrasive scrubbing.
- Safely cleans dirty, discoloured or tarnished jewellery, eyeglasses, and watches, CD's /DVD's, utensils and more in a matter of minutes using water.
- Generates 42,000 Hz of ultrasonic... sound waves for a powerful yet gentle clean that won't damage your valuables.
- Extremely easy to operate with 5 pre-set cleaning cycles (90, 180, 300, 480 & 600 seconds), with an automatic shut-off feature to conserve electricity.
- Easy to read digital display, quiet and portable, it is easy to store and very convenient to use. 600 mL / 0.6L capacity, CE & RoHS Certified, safe and environmentally friendly.
- Famili offers a 1 year warranty to be free from defects in material and workmanship.
Disclosure: E-Commerce Content is independent of editorial content and we may receive compensation in connection with your purchase of products via links on this page.