Beverly's scalloped potatoes are cooked in the slow cooker with condensed soup, cheese, and bacon. She recommends condensed cream of chicken soup, but feel free to use cream of potato, onion, or cream of celery in this dish.
Scalloped potatoes lend themselves to all kinds of variations. Vary the type of cheese or use a blend of cheeses, add some finely chopped onions or green onions to the layers, or add bell peppers or pimientos.
If you like a browned topping, transfer the potatoes to a baking dish when they're done and add more cheese. Broil them until the topping is browned. Or add a buttered bread crumb topping for au gratin potatoes.
The bacon gives the potatoes that great smoky flavor but you could use diced ham or Canadian bacon as well.
- 8 medium potatoes (sliced 1/8-inch thick)
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Optional: bacon bits or bacon (crumbled, cooked, to taste)
- Optional: salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 can/10 3/4 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup
- Spray the crockery insert of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Butter flavor is good if you have it. Or use an olive oil or vegetable oil spray.
- Mix the condensed cream of chicken soup with 1/2 cup milk.
- Layer the ingredients in your slow cooker or Crock Pot in this order: About one-quarter of the potato slices, one-quarter of the cheddar cheese, some bacon bits, salt and pepper, and about one-quarter of the soup mixture.
- Repeat the layers ending with soup mixture and then cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Replace the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom, celery, potato, or onion.
- Add some finely chopped onion or green onion to each layer.
- Add chopped red and green bell pepper to the layers.
- Stir about 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley into the soup mixture.
- Rub the sides and bottom of the crockpot with a cut garlic clove.
- When the scalloped potatoes are done, transfer them to a buttered baking dish and top them with extra cheese. Bake at 400 F for about 10 to 15 minute to brown the top. Or combine 1 cup of soft bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle over the top of the potatoes and bake in a 400 F oven until lightly browned.
You might also like this crock pot potato and ham casserole or this effortless hash brown potato casserole. These crockpot scalloped potatoes are made with a homemade cheese sauce, an excellent alternative if you don't care for condensed soups.