This easy black bean salad recipe takes all of 30 minutes to prepare because you use canned beans.
Black bean salad is a side dish that is always a welcome sight on the table and the only cooking involved here is boiling the fresh corn. If you use frozen corn, however, you can shave off even more preparation time.
The salad gets an extra boost of flavor from fresh tomatoes, red onion, avocado, cilantro, and jalapeños. The flavor improves with refrigeration, so consider making the salad the day before.
- 3 ears fresh corn
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Cook corn in boiling water to cover for 5 minutes. Drain and cool. Cut kernels from cobs and reserve.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, red-wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add reserved fresh corn kernels or thawed and drained frozen corn, drained and rinsed black beans, seeded and chopped tomatoes, seeded and chopped jalapeño peppers, chopped red onion, cilantro, and avocado (see Note below). Toss to coat.
- Cover and chill black bean salad until ready to serve.
Note: Stir in avocado just before serving if you don’t plan to dig in right away.
Source: "The Half-Hour Hostess" by editors of Southern Living magazine and Rebecca Kracke Gordon (Oxmoor House).
More Black Bean Recipes
- Black Bean and Mango Salad Recipe: This salad is vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free and, with just 1 tablespoon of olive oil, it's relatively low in fat. The icing on the cake is that at 200 calories per serving, it also qualifies as a low-calorie recipe.
- Meat and Black Bean Stew Recipe: This hearty stew, loaded with black beans, pork, bacon, sausage, ham, and beef, is known as feijoada and is the national dish of Brazil.
- Vegetarian Black Bean Soup Recipe: This easy low-fat vegetarian soup takes less than 15 minutes to prepare because you start with canned beans and can use commercially prepared salsa instead of homemade.
- Black Beans and Rice Recipe: This Cuban dish, known as Christians and Moors or Moros y Cristianos, is said to bring good luck when eaten on New Year's Day even though it's eaten year-round. It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.