This blackberry ice cream is a great way to enjoy fresh summer blackberries. A little sour cream adds a pleasant tang to this delicious fresh blackberry ice cream.
The simple blackberry mixture is blended then strained before it is added to the cream and sour cream mixture.
- 2 cups blackberries (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups cream (heavy)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (full fat)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the blackberries, sugar, and lemon juice; cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar is dissolved and the berries are soft.
- Put the berry mixture in a blender and puree for about 1 minute. When you puree hot liquids in a blender, don't fill it more than one-third to one-half full and hold the blender lid down firmly with a folded kitchen towel in hand.
- Place a mesh sieve over a bowl and strain the blackberry mixture to remove the seeds.
- Return the strained blackberry mixture to the blender.
- Add the heavy cream and the sour cream to the blender and pulse a few times. Pour the mixture into a bowl; cover the bowl and chill thoroughly.
- Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker following the manufacturer's directions.
- Replace the sour cream with 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt or thick buttermilk
- Raspberry Ice Cream: Use 2 cups of raspberries in place of the blackberries.
- Chopped Candied Ginger
- Toasted Pecans, Walnuts, or Almonds
- Graham Cracker or Cookie Crumbles
- Toasted Shredded Coconut
You Might Also Like