This 2-crust blackberry pie is a tried-and-true Southern favorite. The fruit filling is made with fresh blackberries, sugar, and flour for thickening the mixture.
Use the included all-butter crust or your favorite pie pastry recipe. Or use convenient refrigerated pie pastry in the recipe.
From a reader: "I made it for the first time and while searching through dozens of recipes — this one looked easy and good. I made it and it was a hit — my family devoured it and now they want me to make more." — Kathleen
- Pastry (or use two refrigerated pie pastry sheets)
- 2 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 13 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) cold butter, cut into small pieces and chilled in the freezer for 15 minutes
- 8 to 12 tablespoons ice cold water
- Blackberry Filling
- 1 quart fresh blackberries, washed and drained
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- pastry for a 2-crust 9-inch pie
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon of milk or cream for egg wash, optional
- In a food processor or a large bowl combine the 13 ounces of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 2 1/2 teaspoons of sugar, and the pieces of chilled butter (8 ounces). Pulse 5 to 7 times or use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture. The mixture should resemble coarse meal with some bits or pea-sized butter.
- If you are using a food processor remove the mixture to a large bowl. Add about 7 tablespoons of ice water and mix with your hands. Continue adding water a teaspoon or two at a time, until the dough begins to clump.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly into a smooth dough. Divide the dough into two flat disks and wrap them in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 450 F.
- Roll out one disk of the pie pastry into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Line a pie plate with the dough, leaving some overhang.
- In a bowl, combine the blackberries with 1 cup of sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 cup of flour. Pour the filling into the pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter.
- Roll out the remaining disk of dough to a circle about 11 to 12 inches in diameter; place the dough carefully over the filling. Bring the bottom and top edges together and trim as needed. Crimp the edge as desired.
- Brush the egg wash mixture over the top crust, if desired.
- Cut 3 or 4 slits in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated 450 F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake 25 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serves 6 to 8.
- Sprinkle large grain decorator's sugar or vanilla sugar over the egg wash, if desired.
You Might Also Like