This 2-crust blackberry pie is a tried-and-true Southern favorite. The fruit filling is made with fresh blackberries, sugar, and flour for thickening the mixture.
Use the included all-butter crust or your favorite pie pastry recipe. Or use convenient refrigerated pie pastry in the recipe.
From a reader: "I made it for the first time and while searching through dozens of recipes — this one looked easy and good. I made it and it was a hit — my family devoured it and now they want me to make more." — Kathleen
- Pastry (or use two refrigerated pie pastry sheets)
- 2 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 13 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) cold butter, cut into small pieces and chilled in the freezer for 15 minutes
- 8 to 12 tablespoons ice cold water
- Blackberry Filling
- 1 quart fresh blackberries, washed and drained
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- pastry for a 2-crust 9-inch pie
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon of milk or cream for egg wash, optional
In a food processor or a large bowl combine the 13 ounces of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 2 1/2 teaspoons of sugar, and the pieces of chilled butter (8 ounces). Pulse 5 to 7 times or use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture. The mixture should resemble coarse meal with some bits or pea-sized butter.
If you are using a food processor remove the mixture to a large bowl. Add about 7 tablespoons of ice water and mix with your hands. Continue adding water a teaspoon or two at a time, until the dough begins to clump.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly into a smooth dough. Divide the dough into two flat disks and wrap them in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
Heat the oven to 450 F.
Roll out one disk of the pie pastry into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Line a pie plate with the dough, leaving some overhang.
In a bowl, combine the blackberries with 1 cup of sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 cup of flour. Pour the filling into the pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter.
Roll out the remaining disk of dough to a circle about 11 to 12 inches in diameter; place the dough carefully over the filling. Bring the bottom and top edges together and trim as needed. Crimp the edge as desired.
Brush the egg wash mixture over the top crust, if desired.
Cut 3 or 4 slits in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape.
Bake in the preheated 450 F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake 25 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden brown.
Serves 6 to 8.
- Sprinkle large grain decorator's sugar or vanilla sugar over the egg wash, if desired.
You Might Also Like