Bearnaise sauce is virtually the same as hollandaise except that the vinegar and tarragon replace the lemon. You could certainly make your Bearnaise in a saucepan, but why bother when this version from tastes exactly the same? This exquisite sauce is perfect for steak.
- Combine the vinegar, white wine, shallots, 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes until the mixture is reduced to a few tablespoons. Cool slightly.
- Transfer the cooled mixture with the egg yolks and 1 teaspoon salt into a blender. Blend 30 seconds.
- With the blender on, slowly pour the hot butter through the opening in the lid. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves and blend for only a second.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a tablespoon of white wine to thin.
- Serve immediately
Note: You can also make the sauce an hour ahead. Keep it in the blender and just before serving, add 1 tablespoons of very hot water and blend a few seconds.