With no bread crumbs or filler, these blue cheese stuffed mushrooms are an excellent low carb snack. Blue cheese and cream cheese are combined with green onions and butter for the savory, cheesy stuffing.
Use large button mushrooms or portobello mushrooms in the recipe.
The recipe is easily scaled up for a crowd.
- 2 pounds mushrooms (medium sized or about 3 dozen mushrooms)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 package cream cheese (8 -ounce, softened)
- 1/2 cup blue cheese (crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons onion (green onion, finely chopped)
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Remove stems from mushrooms; chop enough of the stems to equal 1/2 cup. Set aside
- Melt half of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add about half of the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes; drain off fat. Repeat with remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and the rest of the mushroom caps.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and blue cheese; mix until well blended. Stir in the reserved chopped mushroom stems and the chopped green onions.
- Preheat the broiler (500 F) and adjust the oven rack to the upper position. The mushroom caps should be about 4 inches from the heat source.
- Place the mushroom caps on the foil-lined baking sheet and fill each them with the cheese mixture.
- Broil the stuffed mushrooms until the tops are golden brown.
Nutritional information based on 2 mushrooms per serving.
91 calories; 8g fat; 2g carbohydrate; 1g fiber
- Replace the blue cheese with sharp cheddar cheese.
- Add 2 tablespoons of crumbled cooked bacon to the cheese mixture.
You Might Also Like