Use fresh or frozen blueberries in this classic blueberry pancakes recipe. Serve them with maple syrup or this fresh blueberry sauce.
See the tips and variations for some substitution ideas and how to make blueberry buttermilk pancakes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Beat egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl; add milk and melted butter.
- Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients; mix until batter is smooth and stir in blueberries. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Cook on a hot greased griddle on one side until the edge looks dry and bubbly and the bottom is browned.
- Flip the pancake and cook the other side until nicely browned.
Makes about 12 pancakes.
Tips and Variations
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes - Replace the blueberries with chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips.
- Toffee Chip Pancakes - Replace the blueberries with Heath Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits.
- Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes - Replace half of the milk with buttermilk, decrease the baking powder to 1 1/2 teaspoons, and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Lemon Blueberry Pancakes - Add 2 teaspoons of finely grated lemon zest and replace 1 tablespoon of the milk with 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.