Soft and creamy silken tofu is the tofu of choice for smoothies and shakes. If it isn’t available, you can substitute 2/3 cup of plain, low-fat yogurt. Feel free to boost the protein content of your smoothie by adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of wheat germ.
- 6 ounces silken tofu
- 1 medium banana
- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 -3 ice cubes, optional
1. Drain the silken tofu to remove excess water (silken tofu has a high water content).
2. Peel and slice the banana. Place on a baking sheet and freeze for about 15 minutes (this helps make the smoothie thicker).
3. Blend the banana, tofu and soy milk for 30 seconds.
4. Add 1/2 cup of the frozen blueberries and process until smooth. Add the remaining blueberries, honey, and ice cubes if using and process again until smooth.
Nutritional Breakdown (based on 2 servings) Each serving contains: Calories 218, 35 g Carbohydrates, 10 g Protein, 6 g Fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg Cholesterol, 6 g Fibre, 18 mg Sodium, 499 mg Potassium. An excellent source of potassium and calcium.