Blueberry and vanilla are made for each other, and they come together beautifully in this quinoa breakfast bowl!
Quinoa is a delicious whole grain that is full of healthy plant-based protein. It has a similar texture to couscous but has a much nuttier flavor and is a little more coarse. It can be used in both savory and sweet dishes. It is very simple to prepare and cooks up faster than rice!
This quinoa breakfast bowl provides the protein your body craves in the morning without having to cook up eggs or breakfast meat! It is a nice and healthy vegetarian and potentially vegan alternative for breakfast. It can be made vegan by replacing the cow's milk with almond, soy, or coconut milk. Just remember that cow's milk and soy milk pack way more protein and nutrients than the other milks! Also, look for one that is fortified with calcium and other nutrients in order to max out the health benefits.
I like eating this breakfast bowl hot, but it can also be served cold. You can mix up the fruit and flavorings. Try adding maple with apples or keeping the vanilla but adding strawberries. It is a super versatile breakfast that gives you a great start to your day!
- 2 cups whole milk (or almond, soy, coconut, or skim!)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (cooked with 1 teaspoon of salt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (or honey)
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions, adding in a teaspoon of salt.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan. Add the vanilla, sweetener, and quinoa. Cook for a few minutes, until the quinoa is warmed through.
- Place the hot cereal in two bowls. Top with fresh blueberries and serve right away!
- It can also be served cold!