This Polish-American pan pierogi recipe is from my friend Bobbie. She loves traditional Polish fare but doesn't always have the time to make it. This is one way she gets the great flavor of pierogi without all the work. Compare Bobbie's recipe with my Pierogi Casserole, which is made with cottage cheese and oven-ready lasagna noodles.
This can be served as a main course, side dish, vegetarian entree, at a brunch, potluck or football party spread. Check out Bobbie's Unstuffed Cabbage for another quick spin on a traditional favorite.
- 4 large onions (chopped)
- 4 ounces/1 stick butter
- 9 lasagna noodles (cooked al dente)
- 12 servings instant mashed potatoes
- 12 slices American cheese
- 1 pinch salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch black pepper (to taste)
- Caramelize onions in butter in a large skillet. This will take 20 minutes or more. Don't rush it.
- Add cheese to warm mashed potatoes, stirring until cheese melts (microwave, if necessary).
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Place three lasagna noodles in bottom of the pan. Spread half the potato mixture on top and a third of the onions. Repeat with three more noodles, remaining potato mixture and a third of the onions. Place last three noodles on top followed by the remaining onions.
- Cover with foil and bake 30-40 minutes.