It's time to indulge in your campfire dreams and there's no need for a fire or to even be outside. This Boozy S'mores Milkshake recipe can be enjoyed anywhere and is filled with all the delicious flavors found in a gooey S'mores. It's simply served in a glass and is definitely for adults only.
The recipe brings together everything we love about S'mores. To begin, you'll choose your favorite marshmallow vodka and chocolate liqueur. The Drambuie adds a honey flavor imitating graham crackers and RumChata puts the "milk" in our milkshake. Add a little ice cream, blend it up, then dress it up with toasted marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers.
This is a very fun frozen cocktail that you can play with to your heart's content. It's one of those that deserves to be shared as well, so invite a few friends over and get roasting and blending.
- Rim a tall glass with graham crackers if you like and drizzle chocolate syrup inside the glass. Place in the freezer.
- In a blender, combine the liquors and ice cream and blend until smooth.
- To create a thicker shake, add more ice cream. If it's too thick, add more RumChata.
- Pour the blended shake into the prepared frozen glass.
- Garnish with a toasted marshmallow and chocolate shavings.
This recipe can easily be divided into two shorter glasses and it looks great in a cocktail glass.
Splitting it also gives you the opportunity to make any personal adjustments to the recipe in a second round.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
The Vodka. Marshmallow vodka is the obvious choice for any S'mores cocktail and this is the perfect excuse to pick up a bottle. If you prefer, try a vanilla or whipped cream vodka instead. Any of them are excellent options.
The Chocolate Liqueur. When it comes to the chocolate liqueur, you have quite a few options. Creme de cacao is a good choice and either the white or dark versions may already be in your bar. If you want to get decadent, pour a creamy chocolate liqueur such as Godiva.
The Drambuie. Drambuie is added to give this boozy milkshake a touch of honey flavor like you might find in graham crackers. It adds a bit of dimension to the drink's flavor and takes it to a new level.
Admittedly, not everyone has Drambuie in the bar and it can be a little pricey for some. If you like, add 1/2 tablespoon of honey instead.
The RumChata. That creamy liqueur we've come to know and love acts as our milk in this milkshake. RumChata is made from real Wisconsin dairy cream and is a ton of fun to have in your bar. There are many delicious cocktails to be created with it, so if you've not tried it yet, here's your excuse.
The Ice Cream. While vanilla ice cream is recommended, there's no reason you can't switch it up. Options include splitting it with chocolate ice cream, using a fun flavor like rocky road, or even just switching to chocolate chip ice cream.
Those chunks of chocolate will only make this milkshake more indulgent, so play around with this ingredient.
The Toasted Marshmallows
You don't need a campfire to roast marshmallows and there are a few ways to make them right there in your kitchen. Be careful not to start a kitchen fire, of course.
- If you have a culinary torch, you can toast them with that.
- Use the burner on a gas stove by skewering the marshmallows and holding them a few inches from the flame.
- Turn on the broiler of your oven, place the marshmallows on a pan 2 to 3 inches from the flame. Watch carefully as it should take just a minute or two to get the perfect char.
- Of course, if you have a fire or even the grill going, nothing beats a roasted marshmallow over either of those.
The Graham Crackers and Chocolate
Since we are creating S'mores in a glass, it's only natural that we add graham crackers and chocolate. Again, you can play around with ways to do this.
- To crush graham crackers, place them into a plastic zipper bag and smash them into fine pieces. The smaller the better for rimming the glass and you can use your cocktail muddler or any blunt object you have in the kitchen.
- To rim the glass, use either chocolate syrup or RumChata to wet the rim. Then, dip the rim into a small plate filled with crushed crackers until you get a nice, even coating. Shake off any loose crackers over the sink or garbage.
- If you'd like to skip the task of rimming, sprinkle crushed graham crackers over the drink after adding the marshmallow. You can also add shaved chocolate, mini chocolate chips, or a drizzle of chocolate syrup if you like.