Knitting a cozy for cold beverages makes a lot of sense. The bottle cozy insulates your drink, keeping it colder longer, and it keeps the condensation off your hands on hot days. It's a wonderful concept and there's no need to buy a can cozy when you can make your own!
This quick and easy pattern will fit a glass bottle that the average beer comes in and it works pretty well on a can, too. You'll just want to knit it a little shorter to leave a bit more bare space for sipping.
It knits up fast, so you can make cozies for the entire family and you'll have the coolest (looking) drinks at the picnic.
The fantastic aspect of this pattern is that it's a great way to use up your yarn stash. The color and fiber really do not matter, just make sure the yarn is a medium weight. It's the ideal use for those leftover balls of yarn that require a small project and you can always adjust the needle size to get the correct gauge.
- About 24 yards of a medium weight wool blend or cotton blend yarn
- Set of four size 6 US double-pointed knitting needles
- Yarn needle
Pattern Gauge and Size
Gauge: 20 stitches and 28 rows per 4 inches (5 stitches and 7 rows per inch) in Stockinette Stitch in the round. Gauge is not critical but should be pretty close in order to fit snugly around a bottle or can (you don't want your cozy slipping off!).
Size: The finished cozy is 4 inches tall and about 7 inches around unstretched.
Bottle Cozy Pattern and Instructions
The pattern is worked in the round on a set of double-pointed needles. It's such a small project that it shouldn't take much time at all and you may be able to get a few done in one night.
- Cast on 34 stitches.
- Divide onto 3 double-pointed needles and join in the round. Place a stitch marker to mark the end of round, if desired.
- Work in Stockinette Stitch - knit 1 row, purl 1 row - for 4 inches to create a bottle-sized cozy. Stop at 3 1/2 inches for a can cozy.
- Bind off loosely. Cut the yarn and weave in ends.
More Bottle Cozy Patterns
The fun part about knitting bottle cozies is that they're easy and super quick to make. They also make great gifts, particularly if you include a beverage inside. Don't stop at bottles or cans, knit up cozies for other bottles and share the joy while cleaning out your yarn stash.
- Wine Bottle Cozy - Adding a cozy to a gift of wine is a fantastic idea. This is also the perfect excuse to use up the fancier yarns you have hidden away. Nothing says fancy wine like a little sparkle or fur!
- Water Bottle Cozy - Keep your water cold with this handy lace-knit cozy that includes a carrying cord. It's another quick and easy project that you will wonder how you lived without it.