Browned Italian sausage and tomatoes make a delicious homemade sauce for this bow tie pasta (farfalle).
Serve this pasta meal with crusty French bread or garlic bread and a tossed green salad.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces bow-tie shaped pasta, or farfalle
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Remove Italian sausage from casings; brown in a large heavy skillet, breaking Italian sausage up with spatula. Remove browned Italian sausage to paper towels to drain.
2. Drain off all but about a tablespoon of the sausage drippings from the pan; add the onions and sauté, stirring until softened. Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
3. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Set the liquid aside.
4. Add the drained tomatoes to the skillet with the onion and garlic and cook for about 4 minutes.
5. Add the reserved tomato liquid to the skillet and then return Italian sausage to skillet with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water following package instructions; drain and place on serving platter.
7. Spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
8. Toss lightly and serve.