These braised pork chops are super easy to prepare in the skillet. Just brown the onions and chops, add the remaining ingredients, and simmer for about an hour. Orange juice and Cajun seasoning add flavor to the chops along with some vinegar and a small amount of brown sugar.
Feel free to use balsamic or white wine vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar. I used dry white wine in the chops, but you may substitute some water or chicken broth if you prefer.
- 4 pork chops, bone-in, about 3/4-inch thickness
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt or Cajun style seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (or use water or chicken broth)
- Rinse chops and pat dry.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, combine the flour, seasoned salt or Cajun seasoning, and pepper. Coat the pork chops with the flour mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, or until they are lightly browned. Remove the onions to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Increase the heat to medium-high and sear the seasoned and floured pork chops, turning to brown both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Add the onions back to the skillet.
- Combine the orange juice, vinegar, and brown sugar; pour over the chops. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the pork chops and onions to a plate or serving dish and keep warm.
- Add the wine to the sauce mixture in the skillet and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, for about 4 minutes, or until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Pour the over the pork chops and serve.
You Might Also Like
Pork Chop Recipes for Skillet or Electric Skillet