The Daisy is a classic style of cocktail that dates to the late 1800's. It is really a family of drinks that is basically a base spirit, simple syrup (or traditionally gum syrup and alternatively orgeat syrup), curacao or maraschino, lemon juice and soda water. Below is the recipe for the Brandy Daisy and more -- ways to adapt it for the various base spirits.
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a large cocktail glass.
- Top with soda water.
Note: The rum in the Brandy Daisy is dropped for the others.
- Gin Daisy - use gin (traditionally a "Holland" gin, e.g. genever), orgeat for the syrup, and maraschino for curacao
- Rum Daisy - use rum and either maraschino or curacao
- Whiskey Daisy - use bourbon or rye whiskey, orgeat, and simple syrup and no liqueur