There is barely anyone who does not love a Bread and Butter Pudding. It is one of those puddings that made British Puddings the envy of the world and is centuries old. The milk, cream, and egg soaked bread transforms into a light, custard-like pudding in a mere 40 minutes in the oven.
One of the best things about bread and butter pudding is it is an excellent way to use up leftover white bread, making this a very cheap dish to cook. This same recipe will also make a Panetonne Bread pudding or ring more changes with croissants, brown bread even Hot Coss Buns. In fact, any bread can be adapted depending on your taste, except maybe the heavy dark bread. The method is the same whichever you use.
If you want to be decadent, then smear the buttered bread with a little marmalade or your favourite jam. Delicious.
- 55g (2 oz) soft butter
- 10 slices soft white or brown bread, cut diagonally across if large slices
- 55g ( ½ cup) golden raisins/sultanas
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 350 ml (1 ½ cups) milk
- 50 ml (¼ cup) double/heavy cream
- 2 large free range eggs
- 3 tablespoon white sugar
- Heat the oven 180C/355F/Gas 4.
- Grease a 1 liter (2 pint) pie dish with a little of the butter. Spread each of the bread triangles with butter.
- Cover the base of the pie dish with overlapping triangles of bread, butter side up. Sprinkle half the golden raisins/sultanas evenly over the bread, then lightly sprinkle with a little nutmeg and cinnamon. Repeat this layer one more time or until the dish is filled, finishing with the raisins on top.
- In a saucepan gently heat the milk and cream - do not boil.
- In a large baking, bowl beat the eggs with 3/4 sugar and the vanilla extract until light and airy and pale in color. Pour the warm milk over the eggs and continue beating until all the milk is added.
- Pour the egg mixture slowly and evenly over the bread until all the liquid is added. Gently press the surface with your hand to push the bread into the liquid. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the surface then leave to one side for 30 mins.
- Bake the pudding in the hot oven for 40 - 45 mins, until the surface is golden brown and the pudding well-risen and the eggs set. Serve hot.
Notes on Bread and Butter Pudding
Bread and Butter Pudding reheats well covered with aluminum foil in a hot oven, I also love it cold cut into large wedges - perfect for a lunch box.
Use a vanilla pod instead of the extract by splitting the pod open and scraping out the seeds. Add the seeds to the milk and cream before heating. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes before straining the milk over the beaten eggs. I love the flavor of vanilla and don't mind having the seeds in, just a personal preference, you choose.