If you have a hankering for a loaf that has a little bit of chocolate goodness, this recipe is easy to make with your bread machine. Cocoa gives this bread machine recipe a subtle chocolatey flavor. It's not too sweet and is perfect for breakfast when it's toasted and slathered with raspberry jam.
If you want to layer on the chocolate flavor, consider Nutella or a little nut butter and honey or jam. Give it a try with a smear of fruit-sweetened cream cheese.
Cocoa bread is great for a romantic breakfast for Valentine's Day. But think beyond that to a birthday or anniversary brunch with that special someone or even a breakfast group or brunch for the neighborhood, friends, or business. If you have a toaster in the break room at work, you might bring it along to share with your office mates for a team surprise.
Because this recipe uses eggs and milk, do not use this bread machine recipe with a delayed start timer as you don't want the ingredients sitting unrefrigerated as bacteria could multiply. Keep this food safety precaution in mind.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, plus 1 yolk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Combine ingredients as instructed in your bread machine manual. Set the programmable settings for "basic" or "white bread," the loaf size for "1 1/2 pounds" and the crust color for "medium."
- When the bread is finished cooking, remove it immediately from the pan and let it cool completely on a cooling rack before cutting.
- Store the remaining bread wrapped in plastic wrap for 1 to 2 days.
Get more tips for making bread in a bread machine.
More Chocolate Bread Ideas
Chocolate Bread: This recipe is for those without a bread machine. Give it a try if you're ready to bake bread in your oven.
Triple Chocolate Friendship Bread: If you've gotten on the Amish Friendship Bread Starter bandwagon, you can use your starter to make this dessert loaf that includes cocoa, chocolate chips, and chocolate pudding mix. A triple treat indeed.
Chocolate Chip Coconut Quick Bread: This loaf is great to satisfy your sweet tooth for breakfast, coffee break, or brunch. Enjoy it with a little cream cheese, butter, or just by itself.