You could also add chopped pecans or walnuts to this pudding, or add dried cranberries instead of raisins.
For a richer pudding, us a buttery brioche or challah bread. Whiskey sauce (or bourbon) is delicious drizzled over the pudding.
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices white bread, without crust
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- Heat the oven to 300° F (150° C/Gas 2). Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over low heat until hot, but not boiling.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, and salt; stir well. Gradually stir about one-quarter of the hot milk into the egg mixture. Add remaining milk, stirring constantly. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Place the bread slices in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the raisins over bread, if using. Pour the milk mixture over bread. Combine cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over pudding mixture.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with vanilla sauce or other dessert sauce, if desired.
You Might Also Like