This popular Catalan tapa is easy to make and only requires a few basic ingredients. In this version of pa amb tomàquet we make a sauce from the ripe tomatoes and garlic, which is slightly different than the traditional recipe. It is a quick and simple recipe that is colorful and appealing for breakfast, or as a mid-afternoon or evening snack. Round out the dish by pairing it with beer or wine, olives and slices of cheese.
- 10-inch baguette
- 2 juicy, ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 1 clove garlic
- 3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
1. Cut the baguette length-wise and toast the cut sides under a broiler, or in a toaster oven. (If short baguettes are not available, simply cut a standard size baguette into a 10-inch length.)
2. Peel the tomatoes and place in a food processor.
3. Peel garlic clove and place in food processor with tomatoes. Process until tomato and garlic are crushed and thoroughly mixed. Pour tomato mixture into a small bowl to serve.
4. Drizzle olive oil over toasted sides of baguette. Sprinkle salt on top. Spoon tomato mixture on bread and spread evenly.
Tip for Peeling Tomatoes: Bring approximately 2 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, dip each tomato into boiling water for about 30 seconds and remove. Place in a bowl of cold water. Remove and peel should rub off easily.