You can eat these little breaded and fried tofu sticks on their own or dipped in just about any kind of sauce: Ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce or a vegan ranch dressing would all be delicious. I like sweet honey mustard and Thai chili sauce, too.
Scroll down for a few more fun fried tofu recipes to try.
- 1 block tofu (firm or extra-firm tofu, well-pressed; about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup liquid sweetener (use maple syrup, agave nectar or brown rice syrup)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (seasoned)
- oil for frying
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first. This allows the tofu to absorb more of the flavorings and seasonings which you add to it. Not sure how to do that? See this easy step-by-step guide: How to press tofu.
- Slice the tofu into desired "finger" shapes, about 1/2 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick. Arrange tofu pieces in a wide, shallow container
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. Pour this mixture over the tofu slices, and allow to marinate for at least one hour, and up to overnight. The longer the better! Turn the tofu occasionally to ensure all sides are well coated.
- Remove tofu from marinade and fry in oil over medium heat until golden brown on all sides. Gently remove from oil and allow excess oil to drain on paper towels.
- Serve your fried tofu fingers with a dipping sauce, such as ketchup, barbecue sauce, hot mustard or an Asian plum sauce. Enjoy!
More Fried Tofu Recipes:
More Vegetarian and Vegan Tofu Recipes:
- How to have tofu for breakfast
- Silken (soft) tofu: What to do with it?
- How to use tofu in a vegetarian stir-fry
- Vegetarian Tofu Chili
- Sweet and Sour Tofu with Vegetables
- Broccoli and Tofu in Garlic Sauce
See also: More easy vegan recipes