This tasty and easy breakfast casserole recipe can be made ahead of time and refrigerated overnight. Then simply take it out of the refrigerator about 15 to 20 minutes before baking for a no-fuss morning.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C/Gas 4). Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion, breaking up sausage with a spatula. When sausage is cooked through, drain off excess fat.
- In the prepared baking dish, layer the hash brown potatoes, half of the shredded cheese, browned sausage and onion mixture, then the remaining shredded cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and pepper; pour egg mixture over cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Transfer casserole to a wire rack and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares. Serve with salsa, if desired.