This breakfast or brunch casserole is made with eggs, bread, sausage, cheese, and seasonings. It's the perfect egg casserole recipe for a holiday or weekend morning meal.
Feel free to use turkey sausage or sliced sausage links instead of the bulk sausage, or replace the sausage with cooked bacon or diced ham.
- Lightly butter each slice of bread; cut bread slices in half. Arrange bread slices in a 9 x 13-inch buttered baking dish.
- Brown sausage in a skillet or sauté pan, using spatula or spoon to break up. Drain and pat with paper towels. Sprinkle sausage over bread slices. Sprinkle cheese over sausage.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, dry mustard, and the milk until well blended. Pour egg mixture over bread, sausage, and cheese. Cover pan with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the foil from pan and bake the casserole for 45 minutes or until casserole is bubbly and lightly browned on top. It might take a bit longer if it's still quite cold. A knife inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Let the breakfast casserole stand for 15 to 20 minutes after baking.
You Might Also Like