These easy apple and brie stuffed chicken breasts are served with a simple reduced pan sauce made with apple cider and pan drippings.
The recipe calls for bone-in chicken breasts and the stuffing is placed under the skin. If you use boneless chicken breasts, pound them between sheets of plastic wrap until they are quite thin, place the stuffing mixture on each thinned chicken breast, and roll to encase the apple and brie mixture. Boneless chicken will take less time — about 25 to 30 minutes — so check them for doneness earlier.
See the variations for some additional ideas and possible substitutions.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup apple cider, divided
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, without rind, cut in small chunks
- 4 medium chicken breast halves, bone-in, with skin (2 lbs)
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until quite tender, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chopped apple to the skillet along with 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 cup of apple cider; cook until apples are tender, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, Stir in Brie. Divide stuffing into 4 equal portions.
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Run fingers under breast skin to separate from meat. Put 1/4 of the stuffing under the skin of each chicken breast; press gently to distribute filling evenly under skin. Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until chicken is tender and juices run clear when pierced with a fork, about 45 to 55 minutes. The chicken should read at least 165 F on an instant-read meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken to serving dish and keep warm.
- Skim fat from baking dish and pour the drippings into small saucepan. Heat over medium heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup apple cider; boil to reduce by half. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spoon the sauce over the chicken.
Expert Tips and Variations
- Camembert cheese may be substituted for the Brie cheese.
- Replace the sliced apples with peeled sliced pears.
- Replace the thyme with a poultry seasoning blend of herbs, salt-free herb seasoning, marjoram, or rubbed sage.
You Might Also Like