Brining chicken, turkey, and other poultry is a great way to add flavor and moisture to the meat before cooking it. This easy brine recipe can be used for brining a whole turkey breast, a whole chicken, or a whole turkey.
In its simplest form, brine is a solution of salt in water. Generally, for brining chicken, turkey and other poultry, we add sugar and a few simple spices.
When you add your poultry to the brine solution, the liquid should be icy. Room temperature brine can be a food safety hazard.
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns (whole)
- 1 tablespoon allspice (whole)
- 8 cups ice
- Combine the water, salt, sugar, peppercorns, and allspice in a large stockpot. Stir to dissolve the salt and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Allow the brine to cool completely.
- Add the ice, and then immerse the turkey breast or whatever item you are brining. Weigh it down if necessary.
- Transfer to a refrigerator for eight hours or overnight.
- When you're ready to roast, remove the turkey breast and rinse it thoroughly. You can pour out the brine solution at this point.