A basic white sauce with Parmesan cheese makes this a flavorful side dish.
This dish is perfect for any everyday family meal, and it's special enough for a holiday table or potluck.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower; cook just until crisp-tender, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Drain cauliflower, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Add milk to the vegetable liquid to measure 2 1/2 cups.
- Turn the drained vegetables into a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan over medium heat.
- Blend in the flour, stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in milk and vegetable broth mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Season to taste with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Pour sauce over broccoli and cauliflower and stir gently to coat the vegetables with the sauce.
- Dot with the remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika; sprinkle over vegetables.
- Bake at 450° for about 20 minutes, until casserole is bubbly.