This flavorful broccoli and cauliflower bake is baked with a white sauce and a Parmesan cheese and buttery bread crumb topping. If you want a richer sauce, add some cheese to the white sauce or add cream instead of milk.
This dish is perfect for any everyday family meal, and it's special enough for a holiday table or potluck.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower; cook just until crisp-tender, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Drain cauliflower, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Add milk to the vegetable liquid to measure 2 1/2 cups.
- Turn the drained vegetables into a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan over medium heat.
- Blend in the flour, stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in milk and vegetable broth mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Season to taste with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Pour sauce over broccoli and cauliflower and stir gently to coat the vegetables with the sauce.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Combine the melted butter with the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika; toss to blend ingredients and sprinkle over the vegetables.
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and the bread crumbs are lightly browned.