Broccoli and tofu in garlic sauce is a vegan and vegetarian Chinese-inspired entree that is easy to prepare. Serve this easy and simple tofu dish over rice or your favorite whole grain. You really can't go wrong with this simple vegetarian dish, which can be the focus of your dinner or served along with other Asian-inspired dishes.
If you need this dish to be gluten-free, use tamari instead of the soy sauce.
You can find the ingredients for this recipe easily in most supermarkets, and you probably already have the ground ginger and cayenne pepper on your spice shelf.
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Approx 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first. Not sure how to do that? See this easy step-by-step guide: How to press tofu.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- Chop the broccoli, dice the onion, and mince the garlic.
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until the onions turn clear, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu, ginger, cayenne, and broccoli to the pan and continue to cook until broccoli is done, another 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, soy sauce, and water, then add this mixture to the broccoli and tofu.
- Cook until sauce thickens, then remove from heat.
- Serve the broccoli and tofu in garlic sauce over rice or whole grains and enjoy.
This recipe is lovely served hot. You can also refrigerate the leftovers to reheat the next day for lunch or dinner.
Like this recipe? Here are a few more of the best vegetarian and vegan recipes you might also enjoy:
- Most popular vegan recipes on About.com: Just what it says: The most requested, most cooked and most loved favorites.
- Simple vegan dinner ideas: When you're in a hurry or not willing to spend hours in the kitchen, here are recipes that you can make easily.
- Vegan curries from around the world: If you love international flavors, try these variations.
- 8 vegetarian Japanese food recipes: For the flavors of Japan, here are dishes you can enjoy.