This is an easy broccoli and rice recipe, a nice side dish to serve with any meal.
The batch in the picture used about 4 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese cooked with the condensed soup and onion until melted. It was also topped with extra cheese just before it came out of the oven.
Crunchy buttered bread crumbs or toasted almonds would also make a great topping with or without the extra cheese.
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2/3 cup Cheez Whiz (or 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 4 ounces)
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen broccoli, cooked and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Butter a 1- to 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a skillet or sauté pan over medium-low heat, sauté onion in butter until the onion is translucent. Add the cream of mushroom soup and the Cheez Whiz.
- Heat the condensed soup in a saucepan over low heat; add Cheez Whiz or 1 to 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Continue cooking, stirring, until the sauce is smooth and the cheese has melted.
- In a large bowl, combine the hot cooked rice and drained cooked broccoli with the cheese sauce and freshly ground black pepper. Gently stir to combine.
- Spoon the broccoli mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the casserole for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until thoroughly heated and bubbly around the edges.
- If desired, top with the 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and continue baking for a few minutes, just until the cheese has melted.
Tips and Variations
- Use about 10 to 12 ounces of fresh broccoli florets. Put the broccoli in a saucepan with 1 inch of water or in a steaming basket over 1 inch of water. Steam for about 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- Add a breadcrumb topping to the casserole. Toss 1 cup of fresh soft bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs over the casserole just before it goes into the oven.
- Add a few tablespoons of drained chopped pimientos to the broccoli mixture for some extra color and flavor.