The Bottom Line
The Broil King Baron Black 440 is the same as the Baron 440 S, except this gas grill has a powdered coated body instead of stainless steel body parts, which drops the price. This is a 4-burner gas grill with small, low powered side burner, a fully enclosed cabinet, and plenty of grilling space. The main burners are Broil King's dual tube which provides more even heating.
- Dual-tube burners for even heating front to back
- Quality construction
- Heavy porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates
- Under-powered side burner
- Four 10,000 BTU dual-tube stainless steel burners
- 444 square inches primary cooking area with a total of 644 square inches
- 40,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 10,000 BTU brass capped side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Porcelain steel construction with cast aluminum end caps, double layer hood, stainless steel control panel and side tables
- Porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates
- Electric (AA-battery) ignition
- Propane tank and cover sold separately
- Made in the USA by Onward Manufacturing Company
Guide Review - Broil King Baron 440
The Baron 440 is a large but basic gas grill, well constructed, powerful, and very capable.
The two features that stand out on this grill are the dual tube stainless steel burners and the linear flow control valves.
The dual tube burners equalize the gas pressure inside the burner so that the heat is even front to back. Standard tubular burners tend to have higher pressure in the front of the burner and can give you uneven heating. The Broil King burners correct this problem.
The control valves on this grill have an even, highly precise gas flow that gives you a very high level of heat control.
Add in the four-burner design and this grill will let you pick an exact temperature from the very high to the very low.
The side burner is nothing spectacular and at 10,000 BTUs is a little weak. Of course, most people have little use for side burners, but they tend to be a standard feature more and more these days.
This grill has great construction and should last for many years. Broil King is known for making superior grills and this one is definitely worth taking a good look at.